Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Inside Story of the Student Senate

The hard working Student Senate Secretary (me) at work.
(Photo by Rebecca Starke)


ONLINE EXCLUSIVE!

By Shanar Fraser
Staff Writer

The Student Senate is a wonderful club to join that teaches all about politics and the procedures that go on in our government. It is made up of a group of students, and what they do is govern the clubs, plan events, and serve as the voice of the students.

To become a senator, all you have to do is have fifty of your fellow students fill their name on a sheet of paper. After that, you turn it into Shante Hanks’ office. Then you go to an executive board meeting, and they put your petition on the agenda for the following Wednesday’s meeting. You go to the Senate meeting, and they give an interview of sorts, then they vote you in or not in. That is the process of becoming a Senator.

After you have served a least a year as a regular Senator, you can be nominated for the executive board. The seats on the executive board are President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The other positions that the Senate have is College Senate Representative and Foundation Representative.

I first got to know the Senate as a club rep for the Black Student Union. After about a year, I wanted to join the Senate. Shortly after I joined, their secretary resigned, and they needed a new one.

I nominated myself for that position, but it was on an interim basis until they got a new secretary. That was back in 2005.

Then the spring elections came around, and nobody was running for Secretary, so I nominated myself to be the official secretary. It was in 2006, and I won that election.

Then in 2007 I did not run for anything, but the Secretary once again resigned, and in mid-semester I asked the president if I could fill that vacancy, and he said yes. So once again I became the interim secretary.

Some of the committees that I was on include the Activities Committee and the Finance Committee. I helped to plan the Student Senate Luncheon and Appreciation Day. I also went up to the capital to meet other Senators from other schools.

Some things the Senate could work on are planning some more events for the night students, and discussing stuff in a timely manner.

What the Senate does well is helping out other clubs when they need help, and being there for the students, like when a student needs help with something they come to the Senate.

The Senate is really a great club to be a part of. It gives you some leadership abilities and gets you to the higher levels in the school. Plus it allows you to help your follow students.

So if you do not have anything to do, or if you have some free time on your hands, then the Senate needs you. Stop by the Senate office, which is in C110, to pick up an application.

No comments: