Sunday, March 7, 2010

“Making Up Your Mind”


By Vincent Altamirano

Staff Writer

Some families already have their share of expectations for you, others are willing to listen to what you have to say. Make a career choice; the one you want.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to decide their own career path. Family opinions can influence your decision to either follow the career they wish you to follow, or, to do what you enjoy.

Students are caught in the middle, and are faced with these tough choices; either cut your losses and follow your family’s wishes. Or, pursue the career you truly enjoy, and disappoint them for not going through with their expectations.

A few years ago, I was put into this situation. My parents set expectations for the career they wanted me to follow. At that moment, I felt that it was a matter of time before my parents would understand that my career path was to be solely based on what I wanted pursue.

Not long after turning 17, my parents asked, “So, do you know what kind of career you would like to have?” I did not have a firm answer because I hadn’t made up my mind just yet. I told them it was either building computers or being a marine biologist. My dad’s facial expression changed from the curious look to the kind of look that wanted me to consider other options. “You know, you can always go into the medical field, you can be a doctor or pharmacist. These are well paying jobs,” dad said. Not much else was said after I told them again what I wanted to be.

After our little chat, I knew it was a matter of time before my mom or dad found the opportunity to bring it up again. I thought to myself, “If they do ask me again, maybe they expect my answer to be different, it won’t be.” A year went by and the question was asked again by my father.

“Vinny, have you given any thought to maybe following a medical career?” My response was quick and concise, yes and that maybe marine biology or computer science wasn’t for me, I had considered writing as a possible career choice. That answer aggravated him because he brought up my grandparents also wanting me to go into the medical field. The career I was leaning towards is the kind of career that does not pay well when compared to a medical doctor.

It was stressful for me to know that I was expected to pursue the career of my parent’s choice. Sure, I could go into the medical field and get a well paying job and make my family proud. The problem with that was my lack of skill in the chemistry department. The important question at hand was, “Will I enjoy following this career?” The answer was most definitely no; I just couldn’t see myself working as a doctor until retirement. I did however see myself working for a publishing company.

When it was time to enroll at a college, my aunt asked me, “Do you know what major you’d like to follow?” I told her anything that involves writing. She smiled and said, “It doesn’t matter what major you choose, as long as you enjoy doing it.” After hearing this I told her about my parents wanting to push me into the medical field and how I couldn’t see myself working in that field for years. She said not to worry about it, let her do the talking to my parents and hopefully they would understand.

My parents understood alright. When I found out I was accepted at Uconn, they told me, “Congratulations, you’ve made us proud! Follow what ever path you want to follow. You can be anything you want to me, the choice is yours.”

Not everyone gets the opportunity to decide their own career path. While some students struggle to convince their parents to let them follow the career path of their choice, others give in and “go with the flow.”

My thoughts needed to be voiced to my parents, I was determined to follow the path I wanted, they understood. Now, I am working towards the career path of my choice!

No comments: