Monday, October 2, 2006

Still Deciding What Courses to Take?

Attention all freshmen! Need help on what classes you should take?
By Ram Root
Staff Writer

From my own experience I can tell you there were some errors I made in deciding how and when to take the right courses. Hopefully you can learn from my experience and choose the right course to take for your first and second year of college. This way you can be set for your third year at HCC or at another school.

All freshmen should know that the catalog is a great reference on which classes to take for their major. It is also a great reference for what the courses about.

Freshmen should get in touch with their assigned advisor ,who has already majored in the same program that the student is studying. From there, their advisor will show them what courses the student needs to take in order to meet the requirements for their degree.

After being at HCC for a few years now, I found out which classes I should’ve gotten out of the way when I first attended.

One class I wish I got out of the way first was a foreign language. I would like to go for a degree in history, and foreign language is a requirement. A lot of students who are trying to transfer to a four-year college may find out a foreign language is a requirement to graduate.

That is, of course, if the student decides to major in something that is part of the liberal arts program. There are still some important courses that freshman should take.

A course I was happy about getting out of the way was math. Intermediate Algebra is tough subject if you’re not a good at math. It would be a good move on your part to sign up early in your freshman year or if you have to, your sophomore year. Get it out of the way before you get into your junior year. This way you can focus more on your major.

Depending on how students did on their placement test when they decided to attend HCC, some found out that they might have to take a Developmental Studies course for math so they can get into Intermediate Algebra 137.

Finally. the most important course of all is English 101. Mary Clark, Director of the Academic Advising Center, said this course is the “Gate Keeper Course”.

“This course is a core curriculum,” said Clark. “This course is an open door to satisfy the degree program.”

Once a freshman takes this course they can sign up for other courses.
HIS*101 (Western Civilization I), for example, requires students to have taken English 101 or to be currently enrolled in the course.

I hope my experience was helpful for you to not make mistakes when signing up for courses. If you listen to your advisor and keep track of the courses that you have taken, you will find it to be a smooth ride here at HCC.

No comments: