Monday, October 2, 2006

Tips for Time Management

Most of us are somewhat unprepared for how our lives and schedules will change once we start school. It’s like you added this whole new level of craziness onto your already insane life. I’ve developed a strategy during my own insanity, which might help.

By Deb Torreso
Senior Staff Writer

Whether you are a full or part-time student, and no matter what else your day consists of, there is a common thread among us: the need for time management. For some, it becomes automatic because of years of experience at managing a home, kids, a job or career. Others may have a slightly harder time. Here are some tips that may prove worthy.

Even if you don’t feel comfortable initially, try to develop a way of keeping track. Put a calendar on the wall in your den, by your desk or work station, in your pocket, pocket book or car.















Here’s a tip from former HCC Journalism student Mike Russo.

"While I was a student at HCC working on my A.A. in Journalism, I learned very quickly how important it was to balance school, internships, work, and somehow maintain a social life. Beyond doing the basics; keeping a day planner, a notebook to keep track of my daily assignments, and a white board on the wall above my computer at home to keep track of the most important things I needed to accomplish, I have a large yearly calendar for projects so I can make time each day to meet my long term goals. Today as a full -time reporter where I have to keep track of many things happening at once, I am glad I developed good time management skills while I was a student. The real world is much less forgiving."

You may have to experiment. I have tried a day-planner on and off for years. The only thing I find that works for me is a plain white, lined pad. I write the day of the week and what I need to get done within it. You could keep one for each aspect of your life, i.e. work, school and personal. Or combine your “to do’s” on one page by the hour of the day.

For example, on Monday you might list: 8:00 meeting with counselor; 9:30 pick up dry cleaning; 10:00 -11:00 home to work on project; break for lunch; go to gym by 1:00; class by 2:00; home to work on project from 4:00-5:00; go to work at 6:00.

I know it seems a bit rigid, but I have found unless I keep a tight schedule, things will get backed up and I will get overwhelmed. Once you lose your footing, so to speak, it’s hard to get it back. Time passes too quickly and you could fall behind, and unable to catch up.

Pat Salerno, HCC alumni and reporter for the Monroe Chronicle, said “For starters, I'm big on visuals: making lists and blocking in a monthly calendar so I can see at a glance what I've scheduled myself to do-the overall picture. It keeps me from overbooking or double booking. (It works most of the time!).”

If you work out of your home, or have more than one project going on at a time, you might consider keeping what I call an “exterior filing system”. You can separate material by classes, subjects or project due dates. Or you could use one for research material and a separate one for a list of things you still need to do. You can also compile your completed work in another. You might even try a bin or file for items having to do with your household bill paying and maintenance, or automobile expenses such as: taxes, repairs, insurances.

It’s like having “3-D” icons on your desk. You can get stackable bins at Staples or Ikea and label them. There are also filing cabinets or drawers on wheels. You can find just about anything to suit your space and needs.

I also find it convenient to have a briefcase, a large pocketbook with compartments to carry different folders in. I use inexpensive portfolios with pockets and label each one. I have one for my business with related items and another for each class which includes a pen, class-notes and hand-outs.






Left to right: Large bin that holds file folders which can be divided into subjects, projects, personal, professional and academic related material; two drawer file cabinet on wheels; free standing briefcase with many pockets and at least two separate compartments to hold files.

Photo By Deb Torreso




When I am done working on something, I grab my papers from my desk; stick them in the correlating folders and go. Once per week I’ll sift through them to clear out the clutter.

Speaking of which, clearing out the clutter has become such a valuable commodity, there actually are people who have made a career out of consulting others in how to do it in every aspect of their lives. There are also seminars and meditation retreats that profess by doing so, you will feel less stressed and accomplish much more.

Don’t forget to take time for yourself. Many of us are multi-tasking at warp speed. It’s so easy to over extend yourself into a heavy stress mode. Try to be aware of your limits and please don’t look at them as failures. They are not! None of us can be totally productive or fulfilled all the time if we are running on empty. Besides, it’s really not good for your health.

Former HCC Art student, Sharon Greytak agrees with the scheduling of social time. She is now a notable, independent film maker living in New York City. “Do the easy assignments first,” she said. Explaining, “It gets your mind into the process of the work then everything else will start to flow.”

Good luck in your ventures and remember you are not alone. Most of us have “been there- done that.”

No comments: