Friday, March 16, 2007

A Labor of Love

By Jessica Rougeau
Staff Writer

We've all had that feeling of relief after finishing a big test that we spent hours studying for, or a feeling of accomplishment after we've participated actively in a heated class discussion. However, we expect to be taught something new in class each day, as well as have a chance to demonstrate what we've learned. It's the time our professors spend outside of class that makes this possible.

Grading is a large part of a professor’s job, but it's also important that their students excel with their help.

“When I plan the curriculum for my classes, it is always with the student in mind. I want to make sure that I offer a variety of grading options to meet the needs of many. So, aside from testing, I always offer a paper, presentation or project of some sort," said Psychology professor Claudine Coba-Loh.

Nothing beats first-hand experience to bring back to the classroom; it resonates more effectively than reading aloud from a textbook. History professor David Koch said,
"I use traveling experience, because so much of history is geographical, and I see a lot of historical monuments and things when I travel. I also use information I pick up from any outside source- newspapers, politics, or current events."

Staying on top of new styles in teaching and relevant materials is another responsibility professors uphold to keep class interesting.

"I'm always reading. I read the latest trends in teaching. I read the latest textbooks for all the courses I teach and continually weigh one against another to determine which one will best serve my students. I'm always looking for literary works that will engage my students," says Adjunct English Professor Joann Rochman.
In order to get her students to read closely she has come up with the idea of the "envelope exercise." First, she searches for a well-written essay, then she cuts it up paragraph by paragraph. After mixing up the individual paragraphs, she puts her class into groups and they each work together to rearrange them in correct essay form.

"It forces them to read closely, to look for the transitions, for the topic and thesis sentences. It makes them aware of how a good essay is written,” Rochman says.

Rochman has done years of research on how grammar can affect students in the real world as well as aid students in gaining the confidence to share their ideas and develop leadership skills.

"I think it really helps for the professor to have hands-on experience in what you are teaching. I often talk about clients and their life situations that I have worked with to help students to understand difficult concepts," says Coba-Loh.

Professor Koch can still remember some of the presentations he did from 1989 when he worked at Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania

"There, I learned from perhaps the greatest Civil War historians in the country about the war, the battle, and the National Cemetery, where Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg address. I use this information throughout the US History I and II courses. The experience of working there was so moving that I have never forgotten it,” Koch says. Professor Koch's work experience also included organizations like the World Bank and National Park Service, which have impact on the world today.

A professor’s job is never done when there are always new things to learn as times continue to change.

“I spend far more hours working outside the classroom than I do in it. I research for methods and if I don't find what I need to best help my students, then I create an exercise myself. I don't think that good teachers consider correcting papers outside of class the bulk of their work as teachers. I like to keep the words ’reach students’ as close to my goals as ’teach students’. For me it's a labor of love and not something I classify as additional work,” Rochman says.

It is this kind of dedication that allows for limitless success and will only prepare you better for the future. Attending classes is one thing, but the hard work and creativity of professors as well as the encouraged free expression of the students makes everything worthwhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice