Friday, March 16, 2007

Who’s That in the Corner?

By Melissa Pinto
News Editor

A Guide to Making Yourself Known in the Classroom

It’s hard enough starting a new semester. New teachers, new classes and new classmates overwhelm us every 6 months or so. But what happens when you walk into a classroom and everyone seems to know each other?

Like so many of us, I take that seat in the far left corner, way in the back and stay quiet, sometimes for a few days, other times for an entire semester. It’s happened to me on more than one occasion, and I’m sure it has happened to you.

Repeatedly, the shoe has also been on the other foot. I’ve been in that same room and saw a new face. I’ve seen the look of terror on a fellow student’s face as they walked in the door, and concluded that everyone was familiar with their surroundings but them. And as I watch them head to that corner that I once sat in, I feel for them.

“Sometimes I feel like I’m invisible when the teacher knows almost everyone in the room but me,” shared Amanda. “When they do the role call, they say, ‘Oh hi Amy’ or ‘Hey there Joe’. But when they get to me they say ‘Amanda ?’ and everyone turns to look. I hate that.”

Just because you are new to that particular classroom or environment doesn’t give you a "pass” to avoid participating all semester. Considering a great majority of teachers here at HCC factor in participation as part of your grade, taking a backseat in the classroom usually is a recipe for disaster.

This semester, if you find yourself in a room where you feel like the odd man out, take control.

“I got tired of feeling uncomfortable. I figured I needed to just bite the bullet and get over it,” shared HCC student Steph Ganser. “If I didn’t talk in class I knew my grade was going to suffer and I knew that if I didn’t do it soon [talk], it was never going to happen.”

Start small. If you feel uncomfortable jumping into the situation head first as Ganser did, start by testing the waters. When your teacher asks for a simple answer (one that you are certain won’t require a lot of conversation) raise your hand. Make your answers short and to the point so you don’t feel overwhelmed at first. Although the answers you’re interjecting aren’t ten minutes long, you’ll at least begin to make your face known. You may not think it’s a lot, but your teacher will notice you are making an effort.

Professors of small classrooms, like ours here at HCC, are usually very familiar with the idea that one student may not be as outgoing and able to share, as the next. In order to raise comfort levels, Peter Ulisse, Professor and Acting Academic Dean says, “Teachers usually like to have some type of class interaction, like groups. Its gives students a good opportunity.”

Use this opportunity to your advantage. Although you may not feel comfortable in front of the whole class, a small group of four or five classmates is a great place to start. Share your opinion with them, and get to know them. You’d be surprised the confidence you’ll gain knowing that there are a handful of your peers behind you with the same views.

HCC student Anthony Cromedy feels a combination of tactics is the key to success when you are in a classroom where you are unknown. “You need to establish a relationship with the professor. Make yourself known by interacting with other students,” he says.

In my own experience, patience is the key. The feelings of uncertainty in a new classroom don’t go away overnight. With a gradual strategy of taking each class as it comes and making a little progress each time, I’ve come to find my efforts don’t go unnoticed.

No comments: