Friday, March 7, 2008

Music and Life

By Victor Rios

Staff Writer

Listening to music and/or picking up an instrument can be an exhilarating experience that can uplift your soul from the moments you most despair.

The arts and music are considered essential to the development of humankind. In my case, it was learning to play music that helped in my development; especially in the most important transition of a human’s life; from teenager to adult. Music became an escape from the everyday troubles I faced just a few years ago.

It was at the tender age of sixteen when I (for reasons beyond my control and understanding at the time) left my home, and all of my family with it. I followed in my younger brother’s footsteps, except unlike him, I did not have a father to move in with. I had to rely on my own survival skills and find an apartment. Luckily, I had picked up a good job in a Westport restaurant prior to moving out. Warren Harding High School was easy enough so that I could balance both work and school.

Still, working, living in a third floor apartment without any contact with family, and the fear that the “man” would find out that I was living by myself turned out to be burdensome. Sitting down next to my speakers that were turned up to 11 (full blast) listening to Korn and Rage Against the Machine while my ears bled; that was my escape. This type of music certainly helps youth in releasing long held anger, but it eventually gets boring. There are only so many angry songs you can listen to before you turn suicidal or maniacal.

In order to compensate for the emotional loss, I sought out musically likeminded people to talk to, but there weren’t too many. One day, while debating with three other angry youths which guitar player had the heaviest riff, (By the way, Randy Rhodes holds the title) we got a brilliant idea.

“Why don’t we start a band, man?” However, I found out that friends don’t always stay true to their words. I was the only one to buy an instrument. At that point I became a bit discouraged to even pick up my brand new Schecter Diamond Series electric bass.

Halfway through my senior year, on one god-awful night, tired and still angry from a fight in school that almost unveiled my illegal emancipation, I took a long hard look at my bass and thought the obvious “pick it up dumb-ass! You bought it, might as well learn how to play it.”

I picked up the bass and embarked on a journey that I have yet to finish. This journey led me to realize that music is perseverance in its most pure form. Music took a lazy bum and turned him into a productive member of Bridgeport’s music scene.

After High School, I just dedicated myself to playing music; I would wake up, eat my Wheaties, and start to learn “Dazed and Confused” by Led Zeppelin. And when I came home at night I would forget about eating and immediately start working on the song, eventually I learned both of Led Zeppelin’s first two albums in one year.

Classic Rock and the Blues formed the foundation of my musical abilities. The combination of these two is what brought the fire out from within. For some folks it’s Beethoven or Johan Sebastian Bach that truly inspires them, but for me it was Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, B.B. King and their contemporaries that enlightened me.

It was the drive to learn to play music and my appreciation of certain musicians that kept me from being a manic depressive weeping willow. Bassist such as Larry Graham, Jaco Pastorious, Les Claypool, Geddy Lee, and John Paul Jones are all bass players I look up to. They have written some of the most badass bass lines and music ever produced, and they all at one point had to persevere.

Sitting down and figuring out exactly what Les Claypool is playing can only produce one thing, a musical orgasm. It is much like making love—without the talking--you have to listen intently to your subject, have a long soft tactual conversation, and then let your brains creativity take you to that almighty deafening feeling of triumph.

The past five years of playing music has led me to discover new and interesting people, as well as new ideas and styles of music. I’ve had the privilege to play with an innumerable amount of people—Rastafarians, hippies, old black folk, metal heads--each with something different to teach an upstart--and a different type of herb to smoke.

When you start playing music with a new set of people, it’s always difficult to adjust. Sometimes they’ll have you come in to a jam session, and you will click right in, and other times you will be rejected. Maybe, you’re not disciplined in the particular style of music that the other musicians want you to play.

But of course, the feeling of disillusionment is necessary. Keep in mind that if you want to be a musician you have to persevere. Rejection comes with the territory.

Thanks to that will to persevere, I now am able to walk into any musical situation—Jazz, Latin, Reggae, Rock, etc.--with confidence and blaze a path for the electric guitar(s) and percussionist to follow. And no, I am not bluffing! Count me in if you need me.

Most importantly, music has helped me in my personal affairs. To a great extent music has helped to narrow the deep riffs between me and my family. Now, I teach my sister how to play the acoustic guitar (There is nothing more striking than teaching a youngster how to play “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,” or “Jingle Bells”). It is a mutually fulfilling moment; she enjoys the effort she puts into learning, and like any seven year old, showing off her new skills to her jealous girlfriends is a must.

The time I have spent teaching my sister has even helped in warming up the previously cold relationship with my mom. Hell! She even wants to help me buy a car!

I’m sure that anyone could pick up an instrument of their choosing, and with practice and dedication be able to play any song they so choose to learn. Music might not help with most family problems, but at least you can show your folks, or anyone for that matter, that you can do anything you set your mind to achieve.

I personally recommend the electric bass, but the all-famous electric guitars and pianos are just fine, too. One thing I have noticed is that Bassists are always needed; there are enough guitar players out there already.

So step into the world of music and in the process of acquiring a new and fun ability to learn more about yourself, your natural abilities and the world around you. I know I did.


No comments: