Thursday, October 18, 2007

It's My Life!


Why Not Take Control?


In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired. We must also realize that the power to modify our state of being lies in our own hands.

By Janiece Jackson
Arts & Entertainment Editor

Have you ever dealt with a subtle case of anxiety in which all that is in you wants nothing more than to swiftly make it through the day, yet an incontrollable lackadaisical force overpowers you? I know that feeling far too well. Not only have I defeated my ultra laid-back alter ego; I have mastered a little trait called “all togetherness.”

For the greater part of my 22 years in existence, I battled with lack of motivation. Forget about completing tasks; getting started on them was the hard part! At one point, my parents thought it would be a good idea to change my last name from Jackson to Procrastinator.

I had good grades in school. All I set myself to, I completed and quite well. However, there is no doubt in my mind that motivation, time management and a little extra “umph” here and there would have made my early years of learning fundamentally enjoyable and less mandated.

So shortly after high school and early into my college experience, I decided to alter my way of living. My then current employment at a health facility had quite an impact on my uncompromising need to change.

Being surrounded by sound bodies, minds, and souls, forced me to realize that perhaps I too needed to be one with myself and all aspects that make me who I am. It just seemed like a great notion to be a little more on point. If I could find great motivation in taking care of myself, perhaps I could find even more joy in punctually and fruitfully completing and presenting all that was expected of me.

From that point on I took matters in to my own hands. I took advantage of my gym membership, transformed my physique, and became girlishly athletic. I love waking up and having a great mini-workout in the morning. It allows me to productively make it through the day, and turns my vigor off just in time for a great rest.

At one point in my life, I faced an indescribable case of exhaustion, in which I wanted to give up on all that was before me. The four to six hours of restless sleep were simply not enough to help me make it through my work-filled day. I could no longer live a life that lacked peaceful slumber, so I prepared a schedule for myself that would get me back on a timely and healthy track. My schedule provides adequate time for all of my responsibilities, including the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep.

It’s a common misconception that in order to be healthy we have to give up eating anything that taste remotely yummy and stick to eating things that taste like chalk and grass. However, I realized that chocolate frosted & rainbow sprinkled donuts, and a Capri Sun were far from being a part of a well-balanced breakfast. I scheduled a free consultation with a nutritionist and got some great tips on how to balance my diet. As a result, I now know which foods give me energy to help me sprint my way through my to-do list, and which ones keep me wondering, “Where should I begin?”

The difficult part about changing your lifestyle is coming to terms with yourself and realizing that it is necessary. Once you have taken that step most things in life begin to flow with pleasant consistency.

If nothing else in life, we are presented with an opportunity to take complete control of our physical and emotional states. Unfortunately, we are not provided with an owner’s manual at birth that explains how to systematically live our lives. However, we are blessed with the ability to live up to the highest standards.

Come join me in living a life of healthy bliss. It is important to know what is good for you as an individual and what will keep you on your feet and ready to march forward. I don’t regret changing my lifestyle and what I allow to be a part of it. After all, it’s my life; why not take control?





No comments: